Cupcakes by Paolo at the Flemington Market

“Hamsley and I decided to take a break from all the moving stress and took a Sunday morning trip down to the Flemington craft market on Sunday. We were hoping to go back to the Healesville market or even the Mornington market, but they weren’t on; thus us ending up checking out the Flemington market...”

Cupcakes by Paolo at the Flemington Market

Cupcakes by Paolo at the Flemington Market

Hamsley and I decided to take a break from all the moving stress and took a Sunday morning trip down to the Flemington craft market on Sunday. We were hoping to go back to the Healesville market or even the Mornington market, but they weren’t on; thus us ending up checking out the Flemington market instead.

Wondering around it was pretty obvious this was a popular market for the parents with prams. Lots of kid based stalls, trying to walk around, weaving around prams became a little annoying after a while. We bumped into Katie and her boy who also couldn’t help but notice the abundunce of prams!

We didn’t have breakfast before we headed down so I found it rather hard to be enthused by craft stalls on an empty stomach. We found the Crabapple Cupcake Bakery had a stall, and I nearly bought some as I’ve got their cookbook (never made a think out of it yet), and I wanted to see if they were dry like I’ve heard alot of people say. But the line was too long and they cupcakes looked like a candy tree had vomited on them. At $4 a pop, for something I wasn’t too sure on, I didn’t bother joining the queue.

So after wondering around for a while, finally feeding ourselves with delicious pies, we stumbled onto a store that had FAR more impressive looking cupcakes on offer; Cupcakes by Paolo. With a special offer of buy 6 get 1 free, I couldn’t resist this offer to try the many tempting favours before my very eyes.

The lemon meringue looked amazing, which then led my eyes to the pineapple flavour. I love pineapple but never thought to have it as a cupcake flavour. I couldn’t resist red velvet, whilst Hamsley helped me pick the remaining flavours; orange, cookies and cream, choc malt teaser and mocha. There were a few berry flavours I would have gotten; alas, there is always next time.

The main thing about Cupcakes by Paolo is how incredibly light and fluffy they all are. Not dry at all, even after keeping them for 3 days in an air tight container. Usually the red velvet I make can be quite heavy, but Paolo’s version was so light. So light infact I didn’t feel it go to my thighs!

Uh-maze-ing! Lovely lemon flavour with such a light Italian meringue to top it off. My favorite of all 7 cupcakes eaten.

Nice chocolately coffee flavour; not overpowering, but nice and subtle.

Looks like a work of art, tastes as good as it looks! ….. how can you go wrong when chocolate is involved?

The flavour I wanted to try most! I would have liked a bit more of a pineapple punch in the face flavour with this one, but it did not disappoint. It was still heaven in a cupcake wrapper.

… excuse the orange cupcake smeared into the red velvet… transportation played a part in that.
LOVELY light and fluffy red velvet. I’m quite fussy with my red velvet, and this one had a perfect amount of cocoa for my liking.

Chocolate + Malteasers (more chocolate) = win.
… that is all.

How cute is it with it’s little orange on top? Subtle but lovely orange flavour.

We got a good range of chocolate and citrus flavours. I can’t wait to go back and grab the other flavours we didn’t try next time!

For more contact information and flavour choices check out their website:
Cupcakes By Paolo
www.cupcakesbypaolo.com.au

Cupcakes by Paolo at the Flemington Market

Comments

21 comments on “Cupcakes by Paolo at the Flemington Market
  1. penny aka jeroxie - May 20, 2010 at 10:03 pm

The market is just at my door step. Shall go to the next one! good job on doing the recon πŸ˜‰

2. Mark @ Cafe Campana - May 20, 2010 at 10:03 pm

These are the type of cupcakes I like. They have flavour. I am sick of plain butter cakes with whacky icing. Its about flavour first and decoration second.

3. mademoiselle dΓ©licieuse - May 21, 2010 at 2:00 am

It's a tough gig but someone's gotta be the guinea pig taste-tester around here! YUM =)

4. Mary - May 21, 2010 at 3:07 am

You're joking, right!? How am I suppose to look at this and NOT go get a cupcake! This is not helping my "diet" πŸ˜‰

Great blog!

xxMK
    Delightful Bitefuls

5. Jeanne - May 21, 2010 at 7:39 am

Awwwwe they do look so yummy Shellie,
    Markets are wonderful places to just relax, and often find such Yummy!! treats. Glad you enjoyed your day out with Mish.I hope you both have another Great weekend.
    Hugs,
    Jeanne.x :)

6. Ellie (Almost Bourdain) - May 21, 2010 at 8:46 am

Cupcakes! They are simply…. divine!

7. imasugarjunkie - May 21, 2010 at 11:59 am

ooh a new cupcake person to look out for! These look fantastic – and great icing too! The colour of the pineapple one is so vibrant

8. Jo - SecondHelping - May 21, 2010 at 3:19 pm

If only I was a cupcake kinda gal I am SURE I would love these!

9. Emma @CakeMistress - May 21, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Ooh, not too far out of my way. Must head to the markets soon, especially if there's cupcakes at stake!

10. Conor - May 22, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Nice find! You seem to have chosen very well, but I agree that you must return to try the rest.

Damn prams, they're a menace! Don't these parents realise you have cupcakes to get to?

11. Adrian @ Food Rehab - May 23, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Hey- Totally diggin the redesign! Nooice work. Oh, I would def hit up the red velvet yo. It's the one I can never resist.

12. Victor - May 24, 2010 at 3:16 pm

great photos chef
    -Victor

13. Maria@TheGourmetChallenge - May 24, 2010 at 9:15 pm

I must say I did really like the fluffiness of these cupcakes. I didnt get to try the lemon meringue, that one sounds really yummy!

14. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - May 25, 2010 at 6:11 pm

Great photos Shellie! It's good to hear about a cupcake place that actually makes moist cupcakes. They're usually so dry!

15. Cakelaw - May 27, 2010 at 8:45 am

How gorgeous are they? I gather Hamsley loves his chocolate, because all of his picks were chocolate themed! I am curious about the pineapple flavour.

16. Jo - June 1, 2010 at 1:06 am

The cupcakes look gorgeous. Wish I had something like this in the neighbourhood. I do love visiting Sunday markets.

17. Forager - June 14, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Ooh, that cookies and cream one has my name all over it! I love the cute little decorations!

18. Iron Chef Shellie - June 18, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Hi Penny – oh enjoy! i can't wait to go back =D

Hi Mark – yes, i like cupcakes with a flavour punch too!

Hi Mademoiselle Delicieuse – haha and I am more than happy to be that guinea pig!

Hi Mary – haha, yes, my "diet" always fails if cupcakes are around. πŸ˜›

Hi Jeanne – We sure did =)

Hi Ellie – They totally are =)

Hi Imasugarjunie – Oh I know, craving one now actually!

Hi Jo – awww well I'll eat your share πŸ˜‰

Hi Emma – Oh do check him out! they are amazing!

Hi Conor – Thanks! Yes, damn those prams indeed!

Hi Adrian – Thanks =D Oh I know, red velvet and meatballs, something we share in common πŸ˜›

Hi Victor – Thanks dude!

Hi Maria – Oh you should, you are the cupcake queen after all!

Hi Lorraine – Thanks! I know, it's so disappointing when they look good and are dry. Luckily these weren't!

Hi Cakelaw – Totally gorgeous! He certainly does, but who doesn't? πŸ˜‰

Hi Jo – Don't they? I wish Hamsley wasn't working weekends this month, I'm craving a Sunday market visit!

Hi Forager – hehee, they were all so good!

19. The Food Addicts - June 24, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Those are some fancy flavored cupcakes. I think the flavors can be infinite when it comes to making cupcakes.

20. delicieux - June 24, 2010 at 4:20 pm

I love the look of the lemon meringue cupcake. I LOVE lemon meringue!!!! The cookies and cream one looks so good too.

21. Ally - August 20, 2010 at 6:31 am

These photos are fabulous! Have you posted this cupcake review on Fiddme yet?