Turkey Spaghetti Bolognaise

“We are trying to empty the meat from Hamsley’s freezer before the move. This weekend he pulled out 1kg of turkey mince for me to cook with. I’d never used turkey mince before, but Hamsley suggested a turkey pasta as his housemate had a recipe for it in the kitchen. I went to check it...”

Recipes | May 16, 2010
Turkey Spaghetti Bolognaise

Turkey Spaghetti Bolognaise

We are trying to empty the meat from Hamsley’s freezer before the move. This weekend he pulled out 1kg of turkey mince for me to cook with. I’d never used turkey mince before, but Hamsley suggested a turkey pasta as his housemate had a recipe for it in the kitchen. I went to check it out and discovered it came from the Ingham Turkey’s website, which had a range of great recipes to try.

When browning the mince, I found the smell to be rather weird. But after seasoning the sauce with added tomato paste and sugar, which the original recipe did not call for; I found the turkey mince added a fantastic flavour that you wouldn’t get with just beef mince.
About to attempt turkey sausage rolls. Stay tuned for more turkey!

Turkey Spaghetti Bolognaise

1 tablespoon oil
1 onion, diced
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tablespoon oil, extra
500g turkey mince
425g can diced tomatoes
200g tomato puree
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
Salt, pepper and sugar, to taste
2 tablespoons tomato paste
Hot spaghetti, to serve

1. Heat oil in pan over low heat, cook onion and garlic until transparent. Remove from pan. Add extra oil to pan over high heat and cook turkey mince in batches until browned. Return onion and garlic to pan with all the mince.

2. Add tomatoes, puree, basil, tomato paste, salt, pepper and sugar to mince. Stir well and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.

Serve over hot spaghetti.

Turkey Spaghetti Bolognaise

Comments

12 comments on “Turkey Spaghetti Bolognaise
  1. Mark @ Cafe Campana - May 16, 2010 at 3:31 pm

I have never cooked with turkey mince either. You should totally use the Bourke St Bakery Pork and Fennel sausage roll recipe. Its really good. I will be posting my results next week.

2. Esz - May 16, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Interesting!! A workmate recently made turkey burgers – using lots of spices and herbs like coriander etc..he said they were pretty good. I think the recipe came from a recent Men's Health magazine 😀

3. A cupcake or two - May 16, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Shellie I love the new look. Its so cool. A Turkey Bolognaise, that is certainly a healthier alternative.

4. mademoiselle délicieuse - May 16, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Don't think I've ever used turkey mince…perhaps can make meatballs? …with basil?

5. BuBbles - May 17, 2010 at 8:43 am

You definitely don't see turkey mince used often here at all but when I was living in London turkey used to cost less than chicken so we used it in bolognaise and stir fries moreso than chicken…

6. Conor @ HoldtheBeef - May 18, 2010 at 3:29 pm

I was just saying the other day that I want to make a spag bol using turkey mince, as I haven't eaten spag bol for so many years following my move to nonbeefland. It's such a great dish to make heaps of and keep portions in the freezer for lazy nights, or to use in other dishes. Cheers for testing out this recipe! Looks great!

7. Betty - May 19, 2010 at 11:32 am

looks great and a much healthier alternative :)
    love the new layout too !

8. muffinsareuglycupcakes - May 19, 2010 at 12:23 pm

ive never had turkey before!
    but it sounds like it's brilliant with the spaghetti.

9. Ellie (Almost Bourdain) - May 19, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Great bowl of bolognese sauce! Love the idea of using turkey minced. Less fat and still tasty!

10. Mary - May 21, 2010 at 3:08 am

I have some ground turkey in my freezer I need to use up! This looks so great!

xxMK
    Delightful Bitefuls

11. Agnes - May 23, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Interesting – I've never used turkey mince before. Looks like a good dinner!

12. Alisa-Foodista - May 26, 2010 at 2:30 am

We made this last night and it was delicious!