Week 22 – The Cookbook Challenge: Beef Strips in Tomato Cream Sauce

“Week 22 Theme: Red Cookbook Used: Margaret Fulton’s Kitchen Author: Margaret Fulton This week’s cookbook challenge almost didn’t happen. Hamsley and I have been busy looking at places to live, and buying stuff for the move. This week was full of pushy real estate agents and it all became very draining; I just wasn’t in...”

Week 22 – The Cookbook Challenge: Beef Strips in Tomato Cream Sauce

Week 22 – The Cookbook Challenge: Beef Strips in Tomato Cream Sauce

Week 22
Theme: Red
Cookbook Used: Margaret Fulton’s Kitchen
Author: Margaret Fulton

This week’s cookbook challenge almost didn’t happen. Hamsley and I have been busy looking at places to live, and buying stuff for the move. This week was full of pushy real estate agents and it all became very draining; I just wasn’t in the mood for cooking. I then decided I’d just do something simple to get my obligatory blog post for the week done, but Hamsley wasn’t too happy with that, so he raided my book shelf and flicked through trying to find something to suit the red theme.

I must admit, it was nice of him to be so enthusiastic, and seeing him drowning in cookbooks brought a smile to my face after such a hectic week. It was a toss up between soup, beef and red wine pies, or this dish. This dish ended up winning and we cooked it up today for lunch after checking out the local trash and treasure market.

It was relatively easy to make. Hamsley helped cut everything up and we watched the calzone episode of Seinfeld whilst it simmered away. This was meant to be served with parsley rice but I served it with pasta instead. It was quite like a beef stroganoff but with tomato.
Hint: Don’t season the dish until after you have added the sour cream.

The move will be happening next month, hence why I have not been blogging so much, and whilst I won’t be until I’m all settled in. I need to reply to comments left by gorgeous people such as yourself, but I’ll see you again next week for the cookbook challenge… and maybe a review of my birthday dinner which will be happening on Tuesday. I’ll be turning a quarter of a century!

Thanks to Hamsley for making this week’s cookbook challenge happen!

Beef Strips in Tomato Cream Sauce
1 green capsicum, diced
500g button mushrooms, sliced
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1. Coat the beef strips with seasoned flour. Heat half the butter and 1 tablespoon of the oil in a frying pan and saute the meat in 3 or 4 batched until brown. Add the remaining butter and oil when required. Set aside.
2. Add the onions, garlic and capsicum to the frying pan over a medium heat and cook for 5 minutes, stirring, until softened. Return the beef to the pan, add mushrooms, tomatoes, water and Worcestershire sauce. Bring slowly to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 1 hour.
3. Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream. Replace over low heat, stirring until mixture is hot, without letting it boil. Taste and check for seasoning. Serve with rice or pasta.

Week 22 – The Cookbook Challenge: Beef Strips in Tomato Cream Sauce

Comments

14 comments on “Week 22 – The Cookbook Challenge: Beef Strips in Tomato Cream Sauce
  1. mademoiselle dรฉlicieuse - April 18, 2010 at 6:59 pm

All the best with your move and an early happy birthday to you, Shellie! Look forward to you returning to your regular frequency of posting whenever you regain some time =)

2. Sara - April 18, 2010 at 7:17 pm

So nice to read that Hamsley is supportive of your challenge, really sweet.

Happy birthday for next week and good luck with the move!

3. penny aka jeroxie - April 18, 2010 at 8:58 pm

Good luck with the move and it is good to know that Hamsley is supportive. That is so important.

4. Hannah - April 18, 2010 at 10:11 pm

Good luck with the move! Hope it's stress-free and that you have lots and lots of delicious eats during to keep your energy up!

I think the pasta looks nicer than boring old rice, anyway ๐Ÿ˜›

5. tangerine eats - April 19, 2010 at 12:19 am

Mmm mushroom, tomato and sour cream… The spirals look so perfectly cooked too :)

6. Helen (Grab Your Fork) - April 19, 2010 at 10:02 am

A cute idea to serve this with pasta instead of rice, and aww Hamsley is a sweetie! Good luck with the move – a good stash of chocolate is essential to help with flagging energy levels!

7. imasugarjunkie - April 19, 2010 at 10:27 am

This looks so yummy!
    I love that Hamsley is so supportive of the challenge!

8. Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella - April 19, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Best of luck with the move-dealing with RE agents can be very trying when they're pushy. And yay for help in the kitchen! ๐Ÿ˜€

9. Conor @ HoldtheBeef - April 19, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Ugh, pushy real estate agents are enough to do anyone's head in. All the best with the move, but I hope you'll be too busy tomorrow having fun to think about it! Happy birthday Shellie!

10. Esz - April 19, 2010 at 9:10 pm

are you buying then? Congratulations!

And happy birthday for tomorrow!! ๐Ÿ˜€

This dish looks good – the simple delicious stuff my bf would like me to make. ๐Ÿ˜€

11. Jeanne - April 20, 2010 at 1:34 am

Looks YOM Shellie, Pasta is a grear pantry item, and your Taste Tempting Beef strips in the Creamy Tomato Sauce, sounds like a Lovely Quick tasty Meal. Glad to see Hamsley enjoying, Leaning The Finer Points of Learning to Cook that is a real plus, He looks like He is going to become quite a 'CHEF ' with your tuition Shellie?
    'Many Happy Returns' Shellie for your special Birthday Day today ! May you have a wonderful day, live it up, and may this next year, see all your 'Hopes and Dreams' you have today.
    Become a Wonderful Reality to you and may 'Many Bright 'Sunbeams' Continue to Dance through each 'Window of your life,' Each day as the Sun Rises'!!
    Love and Hugs,
    Jeanne. xox :-)

12. Adrian @ Food Rehab - April 20, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Happy Birthday and best of luck with the move yo. April seems to be the month for moving- alot of my peeps are also either buying or renting a new place this month! My arms are hurting from helping!! LOL

BTW- this looks great and simple!

13. vickys - April 21, 2010 at 11:58 pm

Oh that looks like a chummy cousin of beef stragonoff. YUMM.

Good luck with the move! It must be very hectic/exciting around the household now! I hope your movers will be punctual and careful with your stuff!

14. FFichiban - April 23, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Hee hee I was thinking that it looked liked a beef strog when I saw the first pic but with pasta!

Happy Bdayyy!! Hope you have an awesome one