Week 19 – The Cookbook Challenge: BLT Risotto

“Week 19 Theme: Rice Cookbook Used: 5 Nights A Week Author: Valli Little   So last week was just absolutely bonkers, I didn’t end up having time to do the cookbook challenge. So this week I’m making up for it. I had a quick flick through some cookbooks on Monday night, and came across the...”

Week 19 – The Cookbook Challenge: BLT Risotto

Week 19 – The Cookbook Challenge: BLT Risotto

Week 19
Theme: Rice
Cookbook Used: 5 Nights A Week
Author: Valli Little

I had a quick flick through some cookbooks on Monday night, and came across the recipe for BLT risotto.
Mum and Dad liked the risotto, Hamsley said it wasn’t his favourite dish I’ve cooked him, and I’m still on the fence about it. Maybe I should have cut the leeks finer than I did, maybe I should have read the recipe and stirred the parmesan cheese…. I don’t know. If you make it, let me know what you think about it.

BLT Risotto
Valli Little

Get your hands on:
8 bacon rashers
1L (4 cups) vegetable or chicken stock
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
1 leek (white part only), finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 1/2 cups (300g) arborio rice
1/4 cup (60ml) dry white wine
400g vine-ripened cherry tomatoes
80g grated parmesan, plus shaved parmesan to serve
1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsely
40g unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces

1. Remove the tail ends of the bacon rashers, roll up and secure with a toothpick. Place in the fridge until needed. Dice the remaining bacon.

2.Preheat the oven to 200°C.
3. Place the stock in a pan over a medium-high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer.

4. Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat. Stir in the leek and diced bacon for 2-3 minutes, or until the leek and bacon starts to colour. Add the garlic and rice, and stir for 2 minutes. Add the wine and stir until absorbed. Add the stock a ladleful at a time, stirring until absorbed between additions, until the rice is cooked but still firm to the bite(this should take about 15-20 minutes).

5. Meanwhile, place the tomatoes and bacon curls on a baking tray, drizzle with oil and season the tomatoes. Roast for 10 minutes, or until the tomatoes are just soft and the bacon is crisp. Set a few tomatoes aside. Remove the stalks from the remaining tomatoes and stir into the risotto with grated parmesan and parsley, then season. Serve the risotto topped with butter and garnish with the tomatoes, bacon curls and shaved parmesan.

Week 19 – The Cookbook Challenge: BLT Risotto

Comments

12 comments on “Week 19 – The Cookbook Challenge: BLT Risotto
  1. Vee - A Melbourne Munchkin. - April 1, 2010 at 4:14 pm

I'm curious to know – what was it you didn't like exactly? Was it the texture? (I'm guessing because you alluded to your leeks being too chunky!)

2. Mark @ Cafe Campana - April 1, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Ahhh the L in BLT is for Leek. I was looking for the lettuce. I must be a little slow. I don't think lettuce would work well. Great looking recipe.

3. Esz - April 1, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Hmm it sounds like a good recipe – I wonder what wasn't so good about it?

I usually put tons of parmesan or any sort of cheese in at the end. And butter. It's not healthy!
    And put the parmesan & butter in after you take it off the heat. Stir it in and let it sit for a few minutes until it thickens up a bit.
    Makes a huge difference 😀
    I love risotto!

4. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - April 1, 2010 at 10:16 pm

That looks good Shellie but interesting that your parents liked it while you were on the fence and Hamley didn't. I tried her Caesar Salad soup in Quick Smart Cook which is kind of a similar idea.

5. Hannah - April 2, 2010 at 6:52 am

I really like the novelty value of this, although probably won't make it myself on account of the fact that I'm not huge on bacon, and my mum can't have bacon, tomato, or parmesan… I think my dad would like it though! I could always make a batch just for him and report back… 😛

P.S. Your styling of it is brilliant, by the way!

6. mademoiselle délicieuse - April 2, 2010 at 8:32 am

I can't taste it but I like the look of it and can picture the flavour combination. It's got bacon in it!

7. penny aka jeroxie - April 2, 2010 at 10:09 pm

I thought it will be quite nice? I wonder why the different opinions.

8. Simon @ the heart of food - April 4, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Until I read into it a little more, I was thinking "Lettuce? In a risotto? Really?".

Looks like this would have been a pretty decent combo of flavours for a risotto dish. It's a shame it didn't work as as well as you would have liked it to.

9. Jeanne - April 4, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Looks Interesting Shellie, and the lovely garnish of toppings on it really enhance the whole dish. Have only had Risotto once in Melb., but was a bit gooy, and bland. I think your cook-up would have lots more flavors, and appeal. Well done !
    Hugs,
    Jeanne. x :-)

10. Agnes - April 6, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Well, it looks pretty awesome! It's nicely styled with the parmesan on top – who cares about reading recipes anyway. 😉

11. Conor @ HoldtheBeef - April 7, 2010 at 10:30 am

Oh, you fooled us all into thinking there was lettuce in there, you scoundrel! 😉 I love the idea of this dish, so it's a shame it didn't quite deliver on taste. I know – add more bacon! Hehe..

12. Maria @ ScandiFoodie - August 20, 2010 at 5:44 am

Looks like it has such a perfect risotto consistency! Delicious flavour combination :-)