Breakfast BLT

“To answer your question; yes, it does taste as good as it looks…. perhaps even better! Lately on a Sunday, I’ve been waking up not wanting the usual toast, cereal or hot cross bun. Sunday breakfast is meant to be special, a day when you wake up and not worry about your calorie intake. So...”

Breakfast BLT

Breakfast BLT

Lately on a Sunday, I’ve been waking up not wanting the usual toast, cereal or hot cross bun. Sunday breakfast is meant to be special, a day when you wake up and not worry about your calorie intake. So bring on the bacon if that’s what you feel like!

Whilst looking for a recipe for the last cookbook challenge, I stumbled upon this recipe for breakfast. It looked easy enough, and something Hamsley and I would both enjoy when we crawled out of bed. I chucked everything in the oven; including the bread as I bought a “bake at home” Turkish bread loaf as it was nice and cheap. In about 10 minutes we had breakfast with a nice hot cuppa coffee for Sir Hamsely, and a nice cuppa chai for moi.

Better serving size than any cafe you’d probably go to, and far far cheaper! We were both epically full by the end of it, it turned out to be more a brunch than a breakfast BLT!

Breakfast BLT
Bill Granger

Get your hands on:
8 cherry tomatoes, halved
4 short-cut bacon rashers
2 teaspoons olive oil
Sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 avocado
2 tablespoons creme fraiche (or sour cream)

1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon snipped chives
Dash of Tabasco sauce
4 slices sourdough bread
4 small cos lettuce leaves

1. Preheat the oven to 200ยฐC (400ยฐF/Gas 6). Put the tomato halves and bacon on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Drizzle the tomatoes with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and bake for 10 minutes, or until the bacon is crisp and tomatoes are slightly wilted.

2. Mash the avocado, creme fraiche, lemon juice and chives together and season with salt and pepper. Add Tabasco, to taste. Toast the bread and spread two of the slices with avocado mixture. Top with lettuce leaves, some bacon and tomato halves and then sandwich with the other slices of bread.

Breakfast BLT

Comments

15 comments on “Breakfast BLT
  1. penny aka jeroxie - March 23, 2010 at 7:45 pm

I think some of the interstaters that were here would love to have one of that! heh

2. Mark @ Cafe Campana - March 23, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Very nice. I love breakfast foods. This looks quite do able for a Sunday morning. The avocardo mixture looks good too.

3. Jon Wright - March 23, 2010 at 9:02 pm

In running the risk of sounding like I'm bagging you (which I'm not since I love all the work you do and supremely jealous of since I can never be bothered even tweeting what I'm doing) have you ever not used a recipe book and just did *waves hand over the stove* something?

4. Conor @ HoldtheBeef - March 23, 2010 at 10:56 pm

What a treat to wake up to. Good for Sunday dinner too, I'm sure! And lunch! Might have to try a version with smoked salmon (I know, I have a problem, but salmon is good for you so I'm totally justified in my obsession).

5. What's For Tea? - March 23, 2010 at 11:43 pm

DIY Sundays = perfection!

I am definitely giving that avo mixture a go – thanks for sharing :)

6. Vee - A Melbourne Munchkin. - March 24, 2010 at 5:20 am

I agree – that looks really yum, and would cost you at least $10 in a cafe! I love BLTs…always add an egg to mine to make it properly breakfasty! The avocado, creme fraiche, lemon juice and chives mash looks like the perfect combination too.I can..almost..taste it!

7. Hannah - March 24, 2010 at 6:15 am

You know, for all your hinting at decadence, that actually looks quite fresh and healthy! Which is not to take away from its deliciousness ๐Ÿ˜›

8. BuBbles - March 24, 2010 at 9:26 am

Bacon never looked so healthy! I would definitely need to add an egg though ๐Ÿ˜‰

9. Adrian @ Food Rehab - March 24, 2010 at 10:52 am

mmmm, I coulv'e used this for brekkie. Check out those ripened cherry tomatoes. Yes, cafes these days seem to charge and arm and a leg for BLT's these days. Geeze… ๐Ÿ˜›

10. mademoiselle dรฉlicieuse - March 24, 2010 at 11:30 am

Mmmm, love a savoury breakfast! Esp on lazy Sunday mornings =)

11. Kristy Sayer - March 24, 2010 at 3:03 pm

mm yum! I could eat this for breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner! lol.

12. Iron Chef Shellie - March 30, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Hi Penny – haha I think so too!

Hi Mark – Thanks, I love breakie foods too!

Hi Jon Wright – I certainly have. I don't often blog that stuff. I have done for some stir fry noodles, and wonton soup though.

Hi Conor – mmm I'd love to try it with smoked salmon. I also love that stuff!

Hi What's For Tea? – No worries =D

Hi Vee – Yeah, if not more! Might have to poach and egg for next time! Thanks for the suggestion :)

Hi Hannah – lol, it does doesn't it? Perhaps it's all that lettuce and all those tomatoes ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hi BuBbles – HAHA! I love it! Maybe I'll add the egg next time ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hi Food Rehab – Sorry I couldn't provide this for your breakfast ๐Ÿ˜›

Hi Mademoiselle Delicieuse – Me too! Lazy Sundays are the best too!

Hi Kristy Sayer – lol, me too! And every meal in between!

13. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - March 30, 2010 at 7:19 pm

I'll go for any excuse to have bacon for breakfast! Plus sometimes on weekends, breakfast ends up being the same time as lunch ๐Ÿ˜€

14. nazarina - March 31, 2010 at 5:10 am

Wow, your picture is hunger-inducing! I know you say it is simple enough, but yours spells a whole lotta yum! I cannot wait for our cherry tomatoes & chives to grow so that I could make your sandwich.
    Nice to make your acquaintance!

15. foodwink - March 31, 2010 at 10:31 pm

I love weekend breakfasts. Can I get one BLT and a cup of mocha please?