Week 17 – The Cookbook Challenge: Aromatic Vietnamese Beef Curry

“Week 17 Theme: Vietnamese Cookbook Used: The Complete Book of Modern Asian Author: The Australian Women’s Weekly   March has been a crazy month, hence the lack of blog posts. It all seems to be happening, and because I’m designing and producing alot of things for the Grand Prix which is at the end of...”

Week 17 – The Cookbook Challenge: Aromatic Vietnamese Beef Curry

Week 17 – The Cookbook Challenge: Aromatic Vietnamese Beef Curry

Week 17
Theme: Vietnamese
Cookbook Used: The Complete Book of Modern Asian
Author: The Australian Women’s Weekly

March has been a crazy month, hence the lack of blog posts. It all seems to be happening, and because I’m designing and producing alot of things for the Grand Prix which is at the end of the month, I’m pretty damn tired when I get home; so I don’t really want to spend much time in the kitchen!

The Cookbook Challenge makes me get into the kitchen at least once a week, it’s just a matter of finding a night to cook on! The book from this week is actually my Mum’s; but truth be known, I probably would have bought it anyways. I don’t own any cookbooks that are specifically Vietnamese, so I thought I could trust the AWW to bring me the goods.

I didn’t have any ground bean sauce. I looked in 3 different supermarkets and an Asian grocery store. So we settled on a black bean and garlic sauce. Luckily for me, it tasted fantastic, and Hamsely was most impressed!

Incredibly easy to make; I’m glad we have the cookbook challenge, as I’m not too sure if and when I would have made this recipe.

Aromatic Vietnamese Beef Curry

4 cardamon pods, bruised
350g snake beans, cut into 4cm lengths
2 tablespoons ground bean sauce
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh corriander
1/2 cup (40g) toasted almond flakes

1. Heat half of the oil in wok; stir-fry beef, in batches, until browned. Cover to keep warm.

2. Heat remaining oil in wok; stir-fry onion until soft. Add garlic, chilli, lemon grass, star anise, cinnamon, cardamon and beans; stir-fry until beans are tender. Discard star anise, cinnamon and cardamon.

3. Return beef to wok with sauces; stir-fry until heated through. Remove from heat, stir in coriander and nuts.

Week 17 – The Cookbook Challenge: Aromatic Vietnamese Beef Curry

Comments

18 comments on “Week 17 – The Cookbook Challenge: Aromatic Vietnamese Beef Curry
  1. Fiona - March 14, 2010 at 9:52 am

Is it lunchtime yet? :)

2. Vee - A Melbourne Munchkin. - March 14, 2010 at 11:49 am

Umm would you believe I've never heard of Vietnamese curry? There's Thai..and Indian..and um…Malaysian..yeah. This looks very good though! Are snake beans any different to normal beans?

3. Anh - March 14, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Yum! I think this would be nice with the Vietnamese bread.

4. Ellie (Almost Bourdain) - March 14, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Yummo! Haven't tried dried Vietnamese curry. Very intrigued!

5. Jo - SecondHelping - March 14, 2010 at 3:40 pm

When it doubt its hard to go past The Australian Women's Weekly!

This looks very tasty – may need to try it myself.

Good luck with all the work for the GP.

6. penny aka jeroxie - March 14, 2010 at 7:08 pm

I hear you. It has been a hectic month. So much to do and so little time. I have not had Vietnamese curry but keen to try!

7. Adrian @ Food Rehab - March 14, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Oooh, never had Vietnamese curry before! This looks gooooood!~

Finished off that bread yet?! LOL

8. Conor @ HoldtheBeef - March 14, 2010 at 11:41 pm

It somehow makes me feel better that I'm not the only one ridiculously run off my feet right now. We all need maids. Can someone start a 'food bloggers free time creation fund' please?

Nice dinner! Hope it energised you :)

9. imasugarjunkie - March 15, 2010 at 2:45 pm

ooh this looks so yum! hope life stops being so busy very soon for you!

10. Agnes - March 15, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Another hand up for March being a busy month. I'm also glad about the Cookbook Challenge, otherwise I doubt I'd be doing much in the kitchen!

The curry looks good – I've never met a curry that I didn't like! 😉

11. muffinsareuglycupcakes - March 16, 2010 at 1:26 pm

mmm. i love vietnamese food.
    too bad there's not much good ones around here.
    i love their beef noodles!
    ahh. won't you come over to cook some for me, please? 😀

12. mademoiselle délicieuse - March 16, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Seems that everyone has been too busy to post lately. What is wrong with this season?! But, we all still have to eat nonetheless so never too busy to cook =D

13. Helen (Grab Your Fork) - March 17, 2010 at 2:14 am

A shame you couldn't find any bean sauce but I reckon you found a worthwhile substitution anyway. Looks great :)

14. neil - March 17, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Doesn't matter where the impetus comes from, so long as it gets done. I wasn't expecting to see such a dry curry, is that typical for the region?

15. Rilsta - March 17, 2010 at 7:43 pm

How exciting to be working on the Grand Prix! Does that mean you get to go in a corporate box?!

Totally agree that the Cookbook Challenge makes me cook something different at least once a week, though sometimes it's hard to find the time to post!

I was eyeing off this cookbook but I have so many Asian cookbooks now.

16. Hannah - March 18, 2010 at 6:48 am

I've never managed to track down ground bean sauce either – but unlike you, I've always moved onto another recipe because of that. Good to know the sauce substitution worked! :)

17. Ravenous Couple - March 19, 2010 at 7:10 am

this looks great!

18. Jeanne - March 21, 2010 at 4:44 am

Love the sound of this yummy cook-up Shellie, and using some lovely rice to serve this up on. A very tasty and satisfying meal, with lots of nutrition. Love your presentation and pic's look great to.
    Hugs,