Week 16 – The Cookbook Challenge: Chow Mein

“Week 16 Theme: Noodles Cookbook Used: 1000 Best Ever Recipes from AWW Author: The Australian Women’s Weekly   I love noodles. I thought I’d be more inspired to make noodles this week; but after flicking through about 8 cookbooks, I was struggling to find something I really wanted to make.   I hoped the answer...”

Week 16 – The Cookbook Challenge: Chow Mein

Week 16 – The Cookbook Challenge: Chow Mein

Week 16
Theme: Noodles
Cookbook Used: 1000 Best Ever Recipes from AWW
Author: The Australian Women’s Weekly

I hoped the answer was in the AWW 1000 recipes book; and it was!
Even though the recipe seemed rather westernized, it sounded fairly easy and quick for an after work meal.
I used Asian mushrooms as the recipe didn’t state what kind of mushrooms to use. I also left out the celery as it turns out we didn’t have any in the fridge. I’m glad though, I don’t think it would have been as nice if I included it.
Mum and I were a little hesitant about the recipe with curry powder, and frozen peas, etc, but we were both pleasantly surprised. It was a tasty dish with simple flavours. I would definitely make it again!
Chow Mein
1/3 cup (80ml) oyster sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
450g fresh thin egg noodles
1/2 cup (60g) frozen peas
1/2 cup (55g) frozen sliced green beans
1/2 small wombok (400g), shredded coarsely

1. Heat oil in wok; stir-fry mince, onion and garlic until mince is changed in colour. Add curry powder; stir-fry until fragrant. Add carrot, celery and mushrooms; stir-fry until vegetables soften.

2. Add stock, sauces and noodles, stir-fry gently until combined; bring to the boil. Add peas, beans and wombok, reduce head; simmer, uncovered, tossing occasionally for about 5 minutes or until vegetables are just soft.

Week 16 – The Cookbook Challenge: Chow Mein

Comments

16 comments on “Week 16 – The Cookbook Challenge: Chow Mein
  1. Jo - SecondHelping - March 6, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Chow mein has to be up there with bolognese as one of my favourite comfort foods.

Just wondering if cattor (in Step 1) is just a fancy name for carrot? :)

2. penny aka jeroxie - March 6, 2010 at 9:31 pm

We have our residence version chow mien. Quick, easy and delicious.

3. Conor @ HoldtheBeef - March 7, 2010 at 2:43 am

Ahh AWW. They may westernise dishes too much, but you can normally rely on them to come up with a decent end product 😉

Looks like a great midweek meal!

4. Hannah - March 7, 2010 at 4:12 am

It's funny you mention about balking a little at the recipe's use of curry powder – just the other day I was thinking about how the only recipe I've ever used curry powder in is kedgeree, which led me to think i should probably clean out the spice cabinet once I get home! 😀

Your chow mein looks authentically yellow, definitely have to give it that! :)

5. Cherrie Pie - March 7, 2010 at 8:57 am

I love a quick tasty noodle dish for a quick mid week meal. well done on yours.

6. Jeanne - March 7, 2010 at 9:27 pm

What a awesome 'Chow mein ' recipe Shellie, Lovely pics, and taste tempting, I have a 'Chow mein ' feeling coming on?……Yom. :)
    Hugs.x :-)

7. Agnes - March 8, 2010 at 2:10 pm

I often add curry powder when I'm stir frying noodles. It's yum! Never peas though, but that's my pea hatred coming through.

8. Jo - March 8, 2010 at 10:47 pm

Love noodles and this look like a delicious meal. The curry powder gives it a little zing as well!

9. imasugarjunkie - March 9, 2010 at 4:06 pm

I love chow mein – although I havent made it in years. I like curry powder in things – add it to burger mixture for a bit of spice!

10. Ellie - March 12, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Chow Mein is such a wonderful comfort food. I like!

11. Iron Chef Shellie - March 13, 2010 at 10:14 am

Hi Jo – AH yes! Bolognese ….mmmmm =) thanks.. yes it's carrot I better fix that 😛

Hi Penny – ooooo, i'll be around soon then 😛

Hi Conor – it's so true. They always have a good recipe! I'm trying another tonight in fact!

Hi Hannah – HAHA! Thanks =)

Hi Cherry Pie – Me too, thank you =)

Hi Jeanne – Thanks darling! haha too funny!

Hi Agnes – I might have to do that too! What did peas ever do to you? 😛

Hi Jo – I love noodles too. I will be using curry powder a little more I think!

Hi I'm A Sugar Junkie – Oh that's a good idea! thanks!

Hi Ellie – I have just discovered it and yes! I agree!

12. muffinsareuglycupcakes - March 13, 2010 at 10:36 am

yummy. love noodles too!
    its probably the kind of food thats hard to get sick of.

13. Fimère - March 14, 2010 at 6:28 am

cette assiette est parfumée, colorée et doit être très savoureuse
    bonne soirée

14. Katie - March 14, 2010 at 7:36 pm

I just made this for dinner, Shel. Was really tasty.

x

15. Rilsta - March 17, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Noodles always have a long list of ingredients to make it look scary, but it is actually easy to make. Your noodles sound delish!

16. Iron Chef Shellie - March 30, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Hi Muffins Are Ugly Cupcakes – Ohhhh soooo true!

Hi Fimere – merci

Hi Katie – Ah awesome! I'm glad it turned out well :)

Hi Rilsta – So true. Thanks!