Week 3: The Cookbook Challenge – Parmesan Wafer Salad

“Week 3 Theme: Hor d’oeuvres Cookbook Used: Instant Entertaining Author: Donna Hay   Ah… hor d’oeuvres week. The week I was least excited about, and fretting over what I could do. I looked at my bookshelf wondering which book had the magic answer, then I remembered about Donna Hay’s, Instant Entertaining. After a flick through,...”

Week 3: The Cookbook Challenge – Parmesan Wafer Salad

Week 3: The Cookbook Challenge – Parmesan Wafer Salad

Week 3
Theme: Hor d’oeuvres
Cookbook Used: Instant Entertaining
Author: Donna Hay

Ah… hor d’oeuvres week. The week I was least excited about, and fretting over what I could do. I looked at my bookshelf wondering which book had the magic answer, then I remembered about Donna Hay’s, Instant Entertaining. After a flick through, I decided on the parmesan wafer salad as it looked easy, and interesting.

Then I nearly forgot I had to make a hor d’oeuvre. I was busy making butter chicken from scratch and ultimate chocolate Christmas puddings (which will be blogged soon!). It wasn’t until Hamsley reminded me, that I got my act together.

It was an interesting flavour combination that had the table divided. Dad found the vinegar too over powering, mum thought the two types of cheese didn’t really match up, whilst Hamsley and I found it a bit unusual, but felt that it all some how worked.

Would I make it again though? I think not. But had we not have set a hor d’oeuvres week, I would probably have never made this recipe!

Parmesan Wafer Salad

1 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 red apples, thinly sliced
80g rocket leaves
1 1/2 tablepsoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
sea salt and cracked black pepper
150g goat’s cheese

1. Preheat the oven to 180Β°C (355Β°F). Arrange 8 x 1 1/2 tablspoons of parmesan in circles on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper and bake for 10 mintues or until crispy. Set aside to cool.

2. Toss the apple and rocket in the combined vinegar, oil, salt and pepper. Arrange on serving plates with goat’s cheese and parmesan wafers.

Voila! Bon AppΓ©tit!

Week 3: The Cookbook Challenge – Parmesan Wafer Salad

Comments

14 comments on “Week 3: The Cookbook Challenge – Parmesan Wafer Salad
  1. Kyla - December 6, 2009 at 4:52 pm

looks pretty yummy! What goats cheese did you buy? The last one I had just tasted like salt! I love this cookbook – my fav recipe is the lemon pudding on page 78, super easy and a good substitute if you feel like lemon delicious pudding, but can't be bothered with all the preparation.

2. Agnes - December 6, 2009 at 7:11 pm

Phew, I'm glad you were reminded to make your hor d'oeuvres recipe! It's very nicely styled too. :)

3. Simon - December 6, 2009 at 9:04 pm

I would definitely snack on a whole pile of those parmesan wafers. Love those little things!

Shame about the salad not working out for all. Conceptually, it makes sense to me but pity it wasn't able to all come together.

4. Conor @ HoldtheBeef - December 7, 2009 at 12:19 am

Lovely presentation (that purple cloth is awesome!).

Goddamn, Christmas puddings, I STILL haven't made mine. It was meant to happen this weekend but life got in the way. Time is ticking away! Eek!

5. muffinsareuglycupcakes - December 7, 2009 at 12:50 am

i got donna hay's modern classics 1 and 2!
    though i havent made much from her books yet.
    lookin good shellie, you should have your own book! πŸ˜‰

6. imasugarjunkie - December 7, 2009 at 8:33 am

The presentation is great! Shame it wasnt what everyone was expecting. Looking forward to your christmas pudding post!

7. Rilsta @ My Food Trail - December 7, 2009 at 2:05 pm

The parmesan wafer looks yum! Fantastic work getting it so round! I guess that is the beauty of this challenge… pushes you to make things you normally wouldn't make!

8. Ellie - December 7, 2009 at 7:00 pm

The parmesan wafer is the star! Look so tempting… it's shouting out, "EAT ME!"

9. chitchatchomp@yahoo.com.au - December 7, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Your presentation is absolutely beautiful, and I love the sound of this dish – what a shame it didn't taste as good as it looks. Leigh

10. Adrian @ Food Rehab - December 8, 2009 at 7:11 pm

nice work yo! The presentation is on point despite it not living up to expectations.

Nonetheless…I'd hoover it up

11. penny aka jeroxie - December 8, 2009 at 11:03 pm

ohhh… the photo looks fantastic and a pity about the taste. I don't think I own any donna hay book.

12. Iron Chef Shellie - December 9, 2009 at 4:23 pm

Hi Kyla – Just goats cheese? I dunno, I threw the packet away! sorry!! it was from Woolworths. It wasn't salty at all, just ROOOOOOLY creamy!
    mmmmm I shall try that lemon pudding one day! thanks for the rec!

Hi Agnes – Many thanks! I'm glad I remembered too!

Hi Simon – Lol, not a bad idea!

Hi Conor – Purple scarf πŸ˜‰ Accessories double as backgrounds, it's a fantastic excuse to buy more scarves ;P

Hi Muffinsareuglycupcakes – Those two are great books! Thanks, dunno if I'm creative enough to have my own book just yet πŸ˜‰ but thanks!!

Hi Imasugarjunkie – Thanks!.. oh yes.. I must get onto that! Thanks for reminding me!

Hi Rilsta – I used an egg ring… I swear the recipe said to, but when I re-read it, it didn't… I must have imagined it πŸ˜›

Hi Ellie – Oh doesn't it? It was the best bit!

Hi ChitChatChomp – Thank you! I really didn't mind it, my parents were fairly against it though πŸ˜›

Hi Adrian – Thanks Yo! πŸ˜› Hoover it up indeedy!

Hi Penny – Thanks =) I own pretty much ALL of them, and all the magazines!

13. chib - December 9, 2009 at 7:45 pm

Just visiting your blog

14. Forager - December 10, 2009 at 11:48 am

Mm those parmesan wafers sound delicious! But, a shame about the end taste result.