Eating Out: Madeline’s At Jells

“I like to spend my Sundays either as lazy as possible, or going somewhere new and exciting. I was planning on going to the Mornington Markets, as they were raising money for breast cancer on that particular Sunday. However, I was far too tired and had swollen, aching feet from the Joshua Radin concert the...”

November 1, 2009

I like to spend my Sundays either as lazy as possible, or going somewhere new and exciting. I was planning on going to the Mornington Markets, as they were raising money for breast cancer on that particular Sunday. However, I was far too tired and had swollen, aching feet from the Joshua Radin concert the night before, I opted for one of those lazy Sunday days.

I have riden my bike to Jell’s Park since I was a wee tacker. On recent trips, and actually paying attention to my surroundings a little more; I noticed there was a nice looking cafe there.

Since it was already past 12pm, breakfast was no longer being served, so we had to choose from the lunch menu. Not really a problem as there was so many delicious sounding things to choose from.

I ordered the chicken and hazelnut salad because I had never had 2 of my favorite things combined like that before. The chicken was coated in a hazelnut dukkha, and cooked to perfection; not dry at all. It worked perfectly with the balsamic glaze, lettuce, sweet potatoes, and my favorite ingredient in the salad; pears! All things I wouldn’t really think to put together, but worked as a taste sensation.

My dining partner was tossing up between steak and chips or pie of the day. So much tossing up that when he ordered a pie, he then changed it to steak. I told the waitress to write it down and leave before he changed his mind again!
The steak was cooked perfectly, nice and tender. It was a perfect portion size.

I don’t normally eat dessert at the same place I eat my main meal at. I usually like to go for a walk and find somewhere else. But when we spotted chocolate springrolls on the menu, we knew there was going to be dessert straight after lunch. I spied another table ordering scones, and they were massive and made my mouth water .. just a touch.

Our friendly waitress came over to lay down some cutlery for the springrolls. She didn’t know how we wanted to cut them up so we eat got a fork, a knife and a spoon. I used all three, my dining partner used the spoon from his latte.

I had no idea what to expect from chocolate springrolls. When they came to the table I was in awe of how awesome they looked.

It wasn’t until we cut through the crispy shell, and the chocolate just oozed out, like making the first cut into a chocolate fondant. I immediately grabbed my camera for this Kodak moment.
You can tell they have used quality chocolate in the dish; which is good because cheap and nasty chocolate would just totally wreck it. Perfectly teamed with vanilla ice-cream, cream and gorgeous strawberries; I want more as I sit here reminiscing about it.

Madeline's @ Jells on Urbanspoon

Comments

9 comments on “Eating Out: Madeline’s At Jells
  1. Ellie - November 1, 2009 at 7:24 am

Love chocolate spring rolls! I make them at home with twix bars. YUM!! Beautiful location for lunch!

2. A Girl Called E - November 1, 2009 at 9:34 am

i haven't had breakfast and im starving… and now i dont think i can settle for anything short of a chocolate spring roll!

3. Esz - November 1, 2009 at 5:24 pm

Woah! Chocolate spring rolls look divine! WANT.

:-D

4. Chris - November 1, 2009 at 6:14 pm

The steak looks like a bit of dirty meal with no salad on there! But that hazelnut chicken looks other-worldy !! The choco-spring rolls mmhhh!! Shellie you must review the chocolate dumplings at the chinese tea house!!! also sinfully good!!

5. Agnes - November 1, 2009 at 8:49 pm

Chocolate spring rolls – what a brilliant idea! They look fantastic. Looks like you had lunch in some lovely surroundings too. :)

6. Conor @ HoldtheBeef - November 1, 2009 at 10:51 pm

oh what are you doing to me with that close-up of the springroll?!?!! I was quite happy, sitting here with no chocolate springroll, and now I am hungry and forlorn. Luckily I am easily distracted from this by the happy duck photos :)

7. Howard - November 2, 2009 at 11:25 am

Food looks fab, the choc spring rolls look like the choc cigars on Masterchef! yum.

8. chocolatesuze - November 2, 2009 at 11:40 pm

zomg chocolate springrolls looked so awesome! i want i want!

9. Iron Chef Shellie - November 5, 2009 at 9:50 pm

Hi Ellie – OMG with twix bars? AWESOME.. I LOVE twix! Will be trying that one.

Hi A Girl Called E – Sorry for that love, hope you managed to get through the day :P

Hi Esz – Oh, but they were!!

Hi Chris – LOL. Yes Chris, as long as you are there to keep me company =)

Hi Agnes – I know! Awesome idea! Was a very pretty place to have lunch.

Hi Conor – hahaha, sorry about that babe… glad the ducks at the end came in handy:P

Hi Howard – Yes, they certainly do look like the MC cigars!

Hi ChocolateSuze – Come here and we will get you some! =)

Michele Froidevaux

All content on this site by Michele Froidevaux, otherwise known as Iron Chef Shellie. Her skills include food styling in her kitchen studio, lifestyle and travel photography across Australia, restaurant photography on location, building social media for her clients, recipe development with love, menu consulting for cafes and graphic design for people with discerning tastes :)