Jam Doughnut Cupcakes

“So I made it back into my kitchen to do some baking. After eating, and enjoying lots of free salami, I thought I’d try cooking something without using salami.. although I’m not sure how salami cupcakes would have turned out; or who would have eaten them! This recipe seemed interesting; combining doughnuts and cupcakes into...”

Recipes | October 3, 2009
Jam Doughnut Cupcakes

Jam Doughnut Cupcakes

This recipe seemed interesting; combining doughnuts and cupcakes into one. The yeast was probably the key ingredient, although they didn’t rise as much as I thought they would. Still pretty damn delicious though. This recipe will be brought out again! Although make them on the day you are serving them. They tasted rather stale the next day.

Jam Doughnut Cupcakes

1 ¼ cups self-raising flour
½ cup caster sugar
125ml milk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon dried yeast
½ cup strawberry jam
20g unsalted butter, melted
2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C / 160°C fan-forced. Line 16 standard muffin holes with paper cases.

2. Combine the flour and sugar in a bowl, and make a well in the centre. Put the milk, eggs, vanilla and yeast in a jug and whisk to combine. Pour into the well in dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.

3. Divide half the mixture evenly among the cases. Top each with 1 teaspoon of jam, then cover with the remaining mixture.

4. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake. Brush a little melted butter over each cake, then dip it into the cinnamon sugar. Serve cakes warm.

Makes 12-16, depending on how big your cases are.

Voila! Bon Appétit!

Jam Doughnut Cupcakes

Comments

12 comments on “Jam Doughnut Cupcakes
  1. Jackie - October 3, 2009 at 11:06 am

Thanks for posting the recipe for these – I saw your Tweet about them and have been hoping you'd post about them!

Genius!

2. KylaM - October 3, 2009 at 12:07 pm

oh! i've made these! yours look better tho. very cute.

p.s i would totally eat salami cupcakes.

3. Rilsta - October 3, 2009 at 1:48 pm

Ooh yum! I can just imagine how delicious these must taste warm straight out of the oven!

That sucks though how they go stale the next day! Oh well, you just have to make sure you eat them right away – which I wouldn't have trouble doing! 😛

4. Conor @ HoldtheBeef - October 4, 2009 at 12:35 am

How sad that you have to pay for the deliciousness of doughnuts with the poor-keepability of doughnuts. Perhaps the addition of some salami would help their stay moist, or at least take your mind off their staleness.

5. A Girl Called E - October 4, 2009 at 12:55 pm

yummm!! these look delish :)

6. Maria@TheGourmetChallenge - October 4, 2009 at 2:09 pm

I've had my eye n jam doughnut cupcakes for ages! they seem like such a hoot, not to mention the deliciousness to be had!

7. Armers - October 5, 2009 at 4:24 pm

Looking good!

Ugh must try, the missers would love this! 😀

8. Tim Cohen - October 5, 2009 at 5:47 pm

thay look great, but i unfortunately have a phobia towards hot jam donuts ever since i almost drove off old geelong road many years ago when piping hot jam sqirted down my neck while driving!!
    but they do look yum….

9. Ellie - October 5, 2009 at 6:46 pm

I read your tweet and was looking forward to your post!! I have already bookmarked it and will try after my holiday! Thanks for sharing!!

10. Kelly - October 8, 2009 at 12:23 am

I would totally eat salami cupcakes!!! But these look pretty good too – would be a nice way to use up some of my summer fruit jam clogging up the fridge.

11. Iron Chef Shellie - October 12, 2009 at 12:01 pm

Hi Jackie – ahh.. twitter helps to get the word out! Have fun making them!

Hi KylaM – I'm sure yours looked just as good! Ok, you can try salami cupcakes if I ever make them 😛

Hi Rilsta – Yes, it's a good excuse to eat more than 1 cupcake on the day you made them 😛

Hi Conor – Yes, I was most disappointed that they didn't stay fresh for long. I don't think I'll try adding salami though 😛

Hi A Girl Called E – They look as good as they taste!

Hi Maria – Get baking then!! 😉 nom nom

Hi Armers – I hope the missers does love them when you make them for her 😉

Hi Tim – I have the same phobia, but mainly for burning my mouth with the piping hot jam. Your story sounds scary though; I shudder at the thought of it happening.

Hi Ellie – Oh yay! Have a good holiday =)

Hi Kelly – Ok, well when if I ever make salami cupcakes, you will be the first to know 😛

12. Cath @ Moo-Lolly-Bar - August 30, 2010 at 11:27 am

This recipe combines 2 of my favourite things – donuts and cupcakes. So as you can imagine I am delighted I found your site!