Eating Out: Nikos

“A couple of friends recently moved to the suburb of Oakleigh. Known for it’s Greek community, we recently went for a souvlaki there. However, on one of our first treks down to the shops we found the mother of all cake shops in the area, Nikos. We were just innocently looking for cheap shops to...”

Dining | August 11, 2009
Eating Out: Nikos

Eating Out: Nikos

We were just innocently looking for cheap shops to find basic household items, when we found ourselves in front of this window. We all just stopped in awe of the massive selection of cakes… and there were even more varieties inside!
Service is good, despite to people constantly buzzing in and out or lingering at tables enjoying some sweets. There are wedding cakes, birthday cakes and every other type of cake on the back wall being displayed. You don’t have to be Greek to enjoy what they have to offer, have a look at what we’ve enjoyed;

On the first trip, Rob got one of the many kinds of baklava. This was one of the smaller sized ones, packed full of nutty goodness.

I got the small biscuit, filled with jam and dipped in chocolate. To be honest, I wasn’t a fan of the jam, it was the commercialized stuff, and didn’t really do anything for me. Hamish on the other hand got one of the biggest slices of cakes on offer. It was a Ferreo Rocher cake, and it just smelt divine. Hamish had no trouble eating the whole thing, and we still talk about that “epic slice of cake” to this day.

Then my grandma wanted to meet us for afternoon tea one day, so instead of going into the city, I suggested we meet at this new place I discovered. I get my sweet tooth genes from my grandma, and as you can imagine, she loved Nikos just as much as I did!

Rob got a freshly made Greek donut, and a semolina slice. He said both were very nice, with the semolina slice obviously being quite dense and filling.

My gorgeous Grandma got, a pistachio roulade and something I think called a “Rumbah“. She was very content after eating this, but still wanted to get some more cakes to take home!

And well, I went for something chocolatey of course! A Baci ring, similar to one I had from Brunetti, full of full hazelnuts, an almost Nutella like filling, on top of a biscuit base. I know what you are thinking…. mega fattness! So if that wasn’t enough, I tried a little baklava too!
Next time I go to Nikos I won’t be indulging this much!

Nikos Quality Cakes on Urbanspoon

Eating Out: Nikos

Comments

11 comments on “Eating Out: Nikos
  1. Conor - August 12, 2009 at 10:05 am

It is so utterly selfless of you to have tried so many of the cakes to inform your readers! I would totally have gone for some sort of chocolate covered baklava, and probably at least one or two other things…. plus some to take home :)

2. Iron Chef Shellie - August 12, 2009 at 6:08 pm

Hi Conor,
    HAHA i love it! Yes, I was totally selfless and gutless 😛 mmmmm chocolate covered baklava!!

3. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - August 12, 2009 at 6:13 pm

Wow look at the size of that Ferrero Rocher cake! 😮 It looks huge! And just like something I'd adore too :)

4. Iron Chef Shellie - August 12, 2009 at 6:20 pm

Hi Lorraine,
    I know! It's massive isn't it? Of course, that tiny biscuit helps make it look even larger! I look forward to trying it myself one day!

5. spatulaspoonandsaturday - August 19, 2009 at 11:03 pm

oooh my workmate nicole has been telling about nikos cos shes from there. it looks great. i definitely must swing by.

kat

6. Iron Chef Shellie - August 20, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Hi spatulasspoonandsaturday.
    You should definitely swing on by!

7. Anonymous - September 13, 2009 at 8:35 pm

Great sweets, however do not buy a birthday cake!! Paid $235 for a mud cake and found it had fake cream filling. 4 weeks after making a complanint, all they have offered me is a $20 voucher towards another cake or a packet of biscuits!! Very poor customer service and less than impressed!

8. Iron Chef Shellie - September 14, 2009 at 11:01 am

Hi Anonymous – That is outrageous!! I wouldn't buy a full cake from there anyways since my mum is amazing cake maker but woah, that makes me think twice about going there!

9. cruxiefaye - October 20, 2009 at 7:11 pm

everytime i pass by this place on the way to work, i salivate at the sweets display. Have you tried Vanilla up the next block?

10. Iron Chef Shellie - October 29, 2009 at 9:07 am

Hi Cruxiefaye – I haven't tried Vanilla yet. Perhaps next time I'm up that way! Thanks for the suggestion

11. sam - December 21, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Nikos has been around for a while and they have gotten away with the market but not no.,Vanilla has provided some competition and it is like the greek cafes in greece, the service is much better than the pretentious staff at nikos sometimes.Ho hum…..

nikos needs to understand that the educated greek -class who frequents greece, knows the difference in service and value for money.

a loft of gossiping hosewives work in this establishment and have not moved on at all….

despite the above critique, the cakes are still the best in oakleigh and hopefully the son can take over and move the business to another level.

good luck!!